Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Lectures

I am listening to a lecture from the University of California at Berkeley. I have been in lectures since I was in first grade when I was six. Kindergarten does not occur in the lecture form, as far as I can remember at least.

Are lectures good?

I am moving away from that form of learning and teaching. Lectures require an acting personality. One should be interested and able to make oneself interesting. It could be an actor, or a Rock Star. Bob Dylan comes to mind. He is a poet on the stage, he makes us consider deep human issues, .. how many times can some people exist, before they can hear people cry ... . memorable experiences, I will say. I saw Dylan in Mexico City many years ago.

But how much the students learn from the lecture? Good students learn a lot, bad students don't learn much.

I prefer now that besides my "performance" in front of the students, they also work a lot. The ideal situation is that they get so "inspired" by the elan produced by the lecturer, that they can't stop learning the subject. I don't think that this happens often. The other extreme is to drill, no matter how interesting the material is presented.

I am trying to put myself somehow in the middle of those two extremes.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews