Monday, June 30, 2008

Chilapa

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Chilapa

Today was the Party of the Democratic Revolution (PRD) primary in the State of Guerrero. I went to Chilapa, a beautiful town near the capital of Chilpancingo. There is an old Catholic Seminary there. The Cathedral has been “repaired”; where a traditional building use to stand, now we see a cement construction that made me wonder how the original one looked. What I was impressed more with though, were the long lines of the inhabitants of this region, patiently waiting in the main plaza of this town; some with babies in their arms, for more than an hour, to cast their vote in a primary.

This people have been living here, as a people, longer than most of my readers have been in this continent. They came through the Bering Strait more than ten thousand years ago, carrying babies in a similar way as I saw today. I was deeply touched.

A Democratic Revolution is happening in Mexico right now.

I could sense the presence of the Mayas from Chiapas, and Central America, the Incas from Bolivia, together with the Nahuas, Tlapanecos, Amusgos, and Mixtecs from Guerrero I was fortunate enough to witness.

Nobody knows, least of all this writer; what is the next stage of human evolution in this part of the world, I hope that what I saw, is what is coming: A people that finally wakes up from a five hundred year slumber, to claim what is rightfully theirs.

If you want to learn more about Chilapa, read this.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews