Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Mathematics Education in the US

I have been reluctant to write about my experience in US high schools. For one thing I may not be as objective as I would like. For another thing I am not knowledgeable since I only taught two years in that system.

Be it as it may, here is my first installment.

I did not succeed. I know more physics and mathematics than most of my colleagues in those schools. Nevertheless I did not satisfy the expectations of my bosses.

In one occasion I did not present the material in the expected way. In another occasion I did not keep the discipline as was expected of me.

My first assessment of my US experience, is that what I knew was not as important as what the hiring authorities expected of me.

I am disappointed because in one occasion my students were minorities, and my knowledge could have helped them. Now I am back in Mexico, I feel appreciated.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews