Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Natural Selection for Everything?

A few years back, Lee Smolin proposed to go past the impasse in the quest for Quantum Gravity using a modified Darwin principle of Natural Selection. I myself toyed with that idea in the eighties, I did not pursue it and Smolin did. Now he has predictions and a few of us are waiting to see if he is right.

I was wondering what else can we do with this. My friend Alan Boss from the Carnegie Institution in Washington DC, claims that so many parameters allow sceintists to fit anything. I am afraid he is right. How could we keep ourselves out of trouble in problems with so many parameters?

Maybe a generalized Natural Selection Principle can help. But I will write about that in another post.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews