Thursday, May 21, 2009

Why Johnny Can't Divide?

I usually don't put myself in this frame of mind, of blaming the kids of what are basically problems caused by grown ups. I just read a few posts on problems like the one that heads this note. I am working with a student on Divisions and Congruences, for a Master Thesis on Math Education.
His interest is number theory, mine calculators.
After some time bouncing ideas on the topic, it seems that finally we are zeroing on a problem.
I am not going to state precisely what is the problem here. That is for later, more likely in another writing piece, hopefully one that can be published. Here I am going to just shoot the breeze.
Below you can read a  piece in the NYT by somebody in that paper (no name given).
My pop educator explanation is that Johnny can't divide because he has a calculator.

We gave him the calculator, now we have to face the consequences.

So my pop solution is to teach him how to program a computer instead of teaching him division algorithms that he won't need and he never learned anyways.

Case closed.

More later. Maybe you can post your thoughts in the comments section.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews