Monday, September 28, 2009

My Purpose in Life

Having turned 60 recently I am in a pensive mood. Today I heard through the University Radio Station about research done by one of our students. He went to Mexico City and learned how to use the Internet to teach.

I want to encourage young people to consider research problems. Right now I will want them to study the fractions in an old Egyptian papyrus, the so called Ahmes, or Rhind papyrus.

According to cryptanalist Milo Gardner, first translators and analysts missed important parts, he shows that Egyptians knew more than they were given credit for.

My point is to tell students that they shouldn't take what they are told at face value, they have to come always to their own judgment.

It is a tall call; but that is my purpose in life.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews