Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Progress in Mathematics

This term I am leading a History of Mathematics course. I started with Teresi's book, "Lost Discoveries" . Given that I come from the Third World, it always mistified me why my ancestors didn't do anything. Not even the Spaniard ancestors were very active in the epic efforts to make Mathematics.

Obvioulsy Greeks are nearby Spain, and there must have been some cross fertilisation. Neverhteless the lion share went to Greeks, and in modern times, French, English, and German.

It is true that even in a given town or country, not everyone is as productive, but I still had the lingering doubt as to what did the different cultures of the world contributed to Mathematics.

History is a non-linear process. Good conditions here, bad there, and there you have it, the English took everything. The poor Finnish didn't have a chance. They are next door neighbours for goodness sake. What is going on? On the other hand some facts are hidden from view for nationalistic and other mean reasons. It seems to me though, that the great Greek contributions are now the property of all humanity, we should thank our Greek brothers for all that work in the few centuries before the Common Era.

The same is happening right now, Singapore, and other powerhouses are getting many prizes in science olympiads. We should all try to compete. This year in Mexico, our high school students got a bronze medal in the Physics Olympiad that my country hosted.

My point is that in the haphazard way of Human History, some came first, but not forever, the Greeks have not being very actively involved, as of late in revolutionising Mathematics.

What is nice about mathematics is that we can all have fun with it, if we play well, our time will come.

I believe there is progress in Mathematics.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews