Friday, September 11, 2009

WBEZ

I spent ten years in Chicago, temporarily I am in Chilpancingo now. Friday night, and I am listening to WBEZ the NPR radio station in Chicago. Awesome!

I lived in Puebla Mexico for 18 years, and listened to KTRH, I think it was, from Houston, Larry King came at night when I could listen. Now one gets radio stations from all over the world, AM, and FM.

Radio M. I'm listening to Indian music. Great.

This brings memories and meditations. Where am I from? The short answer is that I was born in Mexico City, but I feel well with folks from different countries. I may be from a group of a new type of human. I have memories of friends from different parts of the world. One world.

Actually my children are Mexican-American. I feel comfortable with that situation, even though at times it has been hard to keep up. Mexico City is cosmopolitan. I had a good buddy from mainland China there; he was struggling with the Spanish language. This weekend my middle school friends are meeting in Mexico City, and I may not be able to go. I guess I should go visit my new grand niece anyway.

With this music I remember Indian friends I met in Santa Barbara California. In Mexico, listening to Indian music coming from Chicago. I just posted a few days back the soundtrack from Slumdog millionaire in this blog. Great movie. Bollywood rocks!

It was funny when in Santa Barbara a physics student from Pakistan saw me for the first time, and started to talk to me in Urdu. That was great. I moved with the Pakistanies for some time, until I found a less crowded living arrangement.

I had an Indian friend, we became so close, that he named his cat after me. He was white, with a blue, and a brown eye.

Tony Sarabia for today he has this:

"57 Artists, 55 Events, 21 Venues, 32 Countries, Seven Days- It's World Music Festival Chicago 2009! Now in its 11th year, the Festival has become one of this country's largest events of its kind, with a gloabl smorgasbord of musical tastes.

This week, Festival organizer Mike Orlove and Brian Keigher join Radio M host Tony Sarabia to share music from some of this year's acts."

Tony Sarabia

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews