Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Handles to Find Stars With Planets

"Our findings bring to five the number of stellar parameters that correlate with the presence of Doppler detected,planets: metallicity, mass, Li abundance, vsini and RHK . There might also be additional secondary parameters, such as the
6Li/7Li isotope ratio and Al/Fe and Si/Fe abundances ratios, but these require confirmation. Taken together, these five parameters should make it possible to select stars with a high probability of hosting planets."

Taken from Guillermo Gonzalez.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Man, you can miss a lot on this blog if you don't make reading it a full time job... ;)

Cantoral, by what means would you like for me to send the paper to you?... or did you change your mind?

Unknown said...

I take it that you know who Guillermo Gonzalez is?

Planets in precariously balanced habitable zones that evolved at the same time in the history of the universe... makes for a very fine layer of similarly developed carbon based life forms.

The Goldilocks Enigma makes many testable predictions like this one that explains the Fermi "paradox"... why we haven't heard from ET.

Eduardo Cantoral said...

Island, send paper by email.
eduardo.cantoral@gmail.com

I've been following Guillermo online since I was at Lucent. He answers my emails. I read his book: The Privileged Planet. I don't think he should've been thrown out of Iowa State because the hypothesis of intelligent design, has allowed him to lead in some areas of Astronomy, like this Li anomaly.

Eduardo Cantoral said...

Thanks Eduardo,

Thank you for the link. I had not seen the paper. It is a nice
confirmation of my 2008 paper in MNRAS. BTW, Garik had been the referee
for my paper.

Best,

Guillermo

Unknown said...

I think that you're probably right about Guillermo, as my own experience is that there is more politics than science involved in this subject... by both sides of the "debate".

Unknown said...

Okay, I just sent an email from Rick Ryals.

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews