Friday, April 09, 2010

Four Thousand and Counting

I have written four thousand notes on this blog with this one. Of course many of them look more like Twitter posts. This is so because Twitter did not exist back then. The purpose of the posts were to get high school students interested in Science and Physics. I veered off that purpose many times, and even had polls asking readers if that was OK, I got an affirmative answer, so I keep doing it.

This special note is about my son. I am happy to report that he reads the blog, that is more than many parents can claim, even the young'uns want to hear you!

He told me that I am overdoing the use of the refrain: "So it goes". Vonnegut used it for more serious situations, by overusing it, it may lose its meaning.

My wife and I put a lot of responsibilities on his shoulders, he usually performs well, but when the computer and the Internet were having a problem, even though he tried to solve the problem, there was only so much he could do. I ended up calling my wife to contact our cable service provider. After a few back and forths, we ended up arranging a service visit.

The connection and the computer, miraculously fixed themselves up, with not very much human intervention, that I can see, but then all of a sudden a contractor for Comcast showed up in our door. He said that the Internet connection is like that, unpredictable. He did other repairs, like installing a newer splitter, and taking off a filter that was degrading some TV channels. Since we do not subscribe to TV through cable, we never noticed. He felt though, that it was better to take the filter off. He mentioned something about the company wanting all service through their boxes though. Nevertheless when he left I tried to connect the TV, directly to cable, no luck.

Coming back to my son. Last weekend we went to the local BestBuy store to try the iPad. I was very happy to see how his deft fingers had no trouble using the touch screen with the Pages program already installed in the tablet. I feel well that we succeeded in producing a Digital Native. He is a 21st century ready citizen.

2 comments:

Lev said...

That 'MS Word' app would be Pages, from Apple.

Eduardo Cantoral said...

I'll fix it.

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews