Monday, April 05, 2010

Gates vs. Jobs

I am a fan of Steve Jobs. In Mexico we have the Chivas vs. America feud. Yesterday the soccer team Chivas won 1 - 0, against America, another Mexican  team. As a kid the reason for this preference was that only Mexicans played in Chivas. Now that reason seems outdated, there is actually a son of an America player from Brazil, that belongs to the Mexican team that will play in South Africa this summer.

I also have reasons for the Microsoft - Apple rivalry, I prefer the second. Today I saw a picture of Steve Jobs in Palo Alto. You can see him relaxed walking outside his store there. I believe the iPad just released, will affect society. That product starts a process of cloud computing with thin clients. More people around the world will be able now to take advantage of the power of technology as prices go down.

One reason for not liking Microsoft that much, is that they seemed less idealistic. Gates was not a technical whiz kid that invented a new business,  as Jobs seemed to me. He seemed more of a businessman that found a way to charge for software. You know what? I see now that Jobs is more of a businessman. He will get money for a lot of applications that only run in the platform he controls from chip to screen. That is a new hardware-software monopoly. If I write an app for the iPad, I have to pay the boss.

The Pusenjacks from Croatia are frantically testing their game Doodle Jump to be part of the American dream, and get a lot of dollars, as you can read today in the NYT. Here in Mexico we have a mathematician from  ex-Yugoslavia; Micho Durdevich, he is now a Mexican citizen and is working hard like the kid I mentioned before, Giovani dos Santos, to make Mexico great, Micho in Mathematics and Open Source, and Giovanni in soccer.

From the NYT article:

".... Although as of Sunday evening Apple had not released sales figures for the weekend, some analysts were saying that the iPad’s debut was stronger than they had expected."

Maybe this choice is as silly as my decision many years ago to be a Chivas fan. I guess all of us have the right to choose our teams.

Go Apple, go!

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews