Friday, July 30, 2010

Emma Uriza Castro

I am reading Roger Cohen's reminiscences of his late mother. She was born in 1929, and died in 1999.

``Where is home? For Robert Frost, “Home is the place where, when you have to go there, / They have to take you in.” It’s “Something you somehow haven’t to deserve.”''

Now my mother grew up in Huitzuco, in 1926; she told us the happiest years of her life were spent there; where we are going to put her ashes. She died on April 11, 2010.

The city of Chilpancingo was where she spent her teen years, studying at the University I teach at right now, and working downtown as a secretary. My father used to visit her here. When I am in the park where they walked around, I try to imagine them.

Her brother Rubén was famous, she was liked by people that had the fortune of meeting her. I know all her children love her.

When I am alone, sometimes I see a family trait. She lived happily in the apartment I mentioned below, where a tree fell on a BMW. She was there alone for several years. She took care, mostly by herself, of everything she needed. I see myself doing that, and say thanks mom.

2 comments:

Julio Castro said...

I am Proud to say that I am also a decendant of Los Revolucionarios y Capitanes Castro-Uriza Family of Huitzuco, Guerrero, Especially, of the decendant of El Capitan Fidel Castro- Uriza...

Eduardo Cantoral said...

Sorry, I don't check comments often.

Julio nice meeting you. Recently my dear aunt Irma Castro, daughter of Fidel Castro Uriza, also died in the San Diego area.

My mother and Irma were very close. Irma took care of me when I was in Santa Barbara, at the University of California, studying Physics.

Cheers.

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews