Monday, February 22, 2010

Mexicans Won't like this Post

As you may know, I studied in California, and now work in Mexico. Americans may find my ideas too much to the left; now I think I may make some Mexican readers, feel that I am too American.

I am watching the National Governors Association meeting at the White House. I wish that level of civility was shown between the equivalent actors in Mexico. Sometimes I feel we are in the middle of an undeclared civil war. After seventy one years of "perfect" dictatorship as the Peruvian intellectual Mario Vargas Llosa, once put it.

"In 1990, during a debate with Octavio Paz, Mario Vargas Llosa described Mexico's political system as "the perfect dictatorship". Vargas Llosa was referring to the way the PRI, Mexico's monolithic political party, had controlled almost every aspect of the country's life for over sixty years."

Taken from:

A Perfect Dictatorship?

Mexican Democracy is in its infancy. Politicians here have been known for taking both houses of Government, and just sit down there making a point. I guess you could say that is a "Mexican Filibuster".  Somehow I feel that now it is almost impossible to get reasonable agreements, like Obama is tryng to get with the Nation's Governors.

I hope I am wrong and Mexicans can see the awful state of our educational system, and just consider something like Obama's plan to fix the American one.

I liked Obama's emphasis today in the White House. Los Pinos, i.e. the Mexican equivalent looks bad in comparison.

I hope the Palins, and the McCains, and the rest o'em, stop the nonsense and join in this epochal effort to get a Second Chance. America may loose its opportunity to be on top for two hundred years.

This is the time to accept the challenge, as Obama said today.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews