Saturday, February 06, 2010

Thermodynamics All Over?

The way my brain works, I just take ideas all the way where I can still assign some meaning to them. Literally a Wild Goose Chase.

Recently Verlinde proposed that Gravity has a thermodynamic origin, just like pressure, or osmotic pressure.

Somebody else said that electricity also. I am waiting for the next article that claims the four "fundamental forces", are not fundamental.

Two ideas come to mind:
  • Effective Field Theory
  • Renormalization Group
We know that there is no such thing as a dielectric constant. If we go inside a material, we only see atoms, molecules, and some other marks with a Scanning Electron Microscope (John (Gus) Gurley and Virgil Ellings), say. The dielectric constant is an emergent property we can use to design circuits. Effective Field Theory, and other similar concept, Schwinger's Source Theory, are just ways to state what we know, and ask for what we don't. No claim of fundamentality, whatever that means.

The Renormalization Group is one other such theory to ask questions. This though, provides a zoom concept. We let one variable change and then we can see the physical object at a different scale. Another idea that comes to mind is Fractal.

As it happens, we see things in more and more detail, we are forever surprised. That is why I am proposing a role for 1d-CA Rule # 110.

When I get it, you will find a real article at the Cornell-Los Alamos, electronic repository. Until then, you can keep following my half baked ideas here.

I see Thermodynamics all over now. If you meet me now, I'll see your face as a thermometer, just like in Gold Rush, Chaplin looks like a chicken!

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews