Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Wolfman

This movie is made almost every thirty years. Today I went to see this year's version.

You can see a review in the link above. Like always I write my comments here.

We are tamed beasts. Carnivorous ancestors were not nice, and they live within us, as anybody that accepts Darwin's theory of evolution, like I do, believes. This beautiful woman, Gwen Conliffe, tames and kills the beast inside Lawrence Talbot, unfortunately the human dies also.

This fundamental tension was discovered by Sigmund Freud almost a hundred years ago. The writer Robert Louis Stevenson produced a classic version of this fact, Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Now I write here my take.

As any mildly observant individual knows, rage can transform us. I remember hitting the wall so hard, that I dented the plaster. We can move quite fast when the adrenaline comes, only to be exhausted, a moment later.

More than of the sudden rage attacks, I am now more worried about our slow destruction of the environment, for which we seem to be much less prepared. Slow boiling frogs, that is what we are.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews