Thursday, March 25, 2010

Reading and Math

Today the NYT has a note on reading in American schools. I am leading a freshman class in the Autonomous University of Guerrero in Mexico on Idea Communication Skills.

The article mentions the change from books to electronic media as one cause, I see also another element in my class. You can read the article for the American case. I write here on my Mexican experience.

I use electronic media for writing. Fewer students are reading and writing only with books, notebooks and pens. We are using cell phones, netbooks, and desktop computers for our writing more and more. Those are just tools, what I find with my Mexican students is thet they have different prior education experiences. Some come from major cities, and some from small towns. All work hard, but they do not have a level field to do their running.

All in all I consider that the electronic media will provide a level field for all students to excel, and I am helping them in furthering their access to more tools. More tools, more learning; under the guidance of educated mentors.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews