Friday, March 05, 2010

Sean Carroll

From Eternity to Here . I saw this man once at Fermilab. I think I was in a lecture, I forgot.

From Wikipedia:

"Carroll received his Ph.D. in Astronomy and Astrophysics in 1993 from Harvard University, where his advisor was George B. Field. He worked as a postdoctoral researcher at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics at the University of California, Santa Barbara, and as an assistant professor at the University of Chicago until 2006, when he was denied tenure."

That day he was not talking, maybe it was Filippenko, or Dan Hooper. I really forgot, what I don't forget is that I did not like his face. That is really bad for me, I am looking now at his book, and I am starting to like him. Also he has a blog about Science. Cosmic Variance, with sponsors and all. I am envious. That is why I don't read his pieces. Doubly whammy, I've been hurting myself all this time.

I should meditate, become a Buddhist, or something. Get over it. The other night I was talking to a Wall Street broker, at the Miami International Airport, and he asked me: What do yo think of GE? And I said, I don't like that company, Thomas Alva Edison founded it, and he was a bad man, he tricked Nikola Tesla. He said, that way you are not going to get anywhere, most companies were founded by crooks.

I know this is childish, but since the only one hurt is myself, it just keeps happening.

Today I am going to redeem myself. I just started to read the book. It seems interesting and is along the lines I've been thinking myself. He has not solved the problem, and that is good. Just in case, I will write my idea here again, so nobody steals it.

He does not see yet that the laws of Nature are emergent. At the beginning there were no Laws, or they were different. Laws evolve. More precisely rule 110 for Cellular Automata, must play an important rôle in the evolution of the Universe.

I will report later what I learned from Carroll.

Tonight I am going to watch Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, by another Carroll, Lewis; actually he was Dodgson, Charles Lutwidge.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews