Saturday, January 30, 2010

Energy Technology, China and the World

In his book, Hot, Flat, and Crowded Tom Friedman writes:

"I am convinced that the best way for America to solve its big problem the best way for America to get its “groove” back is for us to take the lead in solving the world’s big problem. In a world that is getting hot, flat, and crowded, the task of creating the tools, systems, energy sources, and ethics that will allow the planet to grow in cleaner, more sustainable ways is going to be the biggest challenge of our lifetime. But this challenge is actually an opportunity for America. If we take it on, it will revive America at home, reconnect America abroad, and retool America for tomorrow. America is always at its most powerful and most influential when it is combining innovation and inspiration, wealth-building and dignity-building, the quest for big profits and the tackling of big problems. When we do just one, we are less than the sum of our parts."

In his NYT columns I've read about the ET race going on in the world. Who will get there first?

 Today we can read in the NYT.

China is Leading the Race to Make Renewable Energy

It seems to me that this one is going to be a global endeavor, like CERN. When I started thinking about elementary particles, I thought that the US was the place to be. After some time at Fermilab, and Lucent, I got convinced that the US is past its prime. The US Congress had killed a few years before the Superconductor Super Collider, and Lucent became a French-American company. Americans didn't have what it takes to lead the free world, I thought.

President Obama got me going again with his State of the Union Address. He finished by saying, I do not quit.

At this point I am wavering on my opinion.

Does the US have what it takes to lead the free world?

I believe so; on the other hand the Chinese look awesome.

So what about this answer?

The world has to link efforts to solve this problem. The Secretary of Energy  Steve Chu , is Chinese-American.

There is a concept there, mh? What about doing it together, just like at CERN?

Finally, this guy is good; just see him here doing his thing with the GOP House members. If he can go to the GOP, I'm sure he can go to China, and firm up a deal with Communist Party of China.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews