Thursday, January 28, 2010

Wikipedia on Salinger

I just finished reading the Wikipedia article on this man.

It is interesting how a non-author piece of work has a style. I guess some literary types must be writing Ph.D. theses on this strange animal. The collective encyclopedia.

Now the man. I read The Catcher in the Rye out of curiosity to understand a dear friend that became my wife. I feel that I belong to a club of misunderstood, and eternally adolescent brainy people. An extra similarity is that J.D. Salinger wrote one masterpiece and for all practical purposes, called it quits., and I haven't published anything worth mentioning.

Maybe his death will liberate his soul, and it will come to inhabit my body. Wishful thinking.

Rest in peace Holden Caulfield.

"The boy himself is at once too simple and too complex for us to make any final comment about him or his story. Perhaps the safest thing we can say about Holden is that he was born in the world not just strongly attracted to beauty but, almost, hopelessly impaled on it."


Original book jacket copy, possibly partially written by Salinger.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews