Friday, May 28, 2010

I See Science Growing in Mexico

A moment ago I went out to have a snack. There was a party on campus, which didn't surprise me since I went to school at the Party Campus of the UC system, in Santa Barbara, and the Party Town of Isla Vista. What was new is that this is not California, this is Guerrero, Mexico, the land my mother grew up in.

A person whose face I barely recognized asked me to have a fruit drink, please. I accepted, and while the students were dancing on campus, unlike UCSB, in my time, this person had had alcohol. He reminded me that I taught a class he took in a town several hundred miles away, Puebla. Then I remember, yes it was "Mathematics for the Biological Sciences," I was introduced to the new head of the Chemistry and Biology Department. The students were having a great time dancing in synchrony, like three hundred of them. There was joy.

The school had a painful political fight, they lost the Rector's office post, but they won the Department post. The students were happy to have won, and my friends also, thus the alcohol. Nobody else was drunk as far as I could tell.

I guess this is the way it happens, humanity coming forward, against all odds; and then having an exhausting celebration.

Nice.

Now it is raining, after a long waiting period, thsi rain was supposed to be here around May 15. Now it is getting cooler.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews