Friday, May 28, 2010

What Will Happen with the .DOC and .DOCX Extensions Online?

I am reading a document originally written in MS Office software. Fortunately now I can read it in the .PDF format. I did read this document in the .DOC format, and since I didn't have the newest MS version of their software, I was forced to look for so called "translators." I have a feeling that the sites I visited were not the best, because later my MS installation started to act strangely, I guess malware, or real viruses were in my computer, even though I was protected by some anti-virus software. It didn't help that my university here in one of the poorest states, of one of the poorest countries in the World, didn't provide me with a "legal" pristine copy of the company in Redmond, WA.

Whoever put this document online, fortunately, chose to put it in the format of the Adobe Corporation.

My gut feeling is that with the onslaught on the part of Google, MicrosSoft will have to shape up, or ship out.

To me this sounds a bit like the illegal PEOPLE argument going on in Arizona. What is the big deal, may say a WASP in that state, just go get your visa, and don't bug me.

Yes I should not have used "illegal" copies of MicroSoft software. You know how I feel? Viva Linux!, and all the gifts that humanitarian computer scientists like Donald Knuth have given us. Long Live [;\LaTeX;].

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews