Saturday, May 29, 2010

Special About Me

I did not write the program for the class I just taught: Idea Communication Skills. It is part of a general revision of the curriculum at my university. Nevertheless, I hope I had something special to offer.

I started this blog in 2006, then I was teaching high school in Illinois. My purpose is to invite young people to the world of science by showing the relevance to their lives. I am not satisfied. There are other blogs, like Bad Astronomy, and Cosmic Variance, just to mention two, that do a much better job at inviting young people to science. They are maintained by very able scientists.

Now I work at a university in the south of Mexico, this is a poor state and a poor country, my students do not have the opportunities that kids in Illinois have, but I am very proud of them. I feel that they trust me more than the kids in Illinois did. Maybe I have more influence in them.

Now all the students, the seventeen of them, have a blog, wrote a book, and made a powerpoint presentation.

I could inspire them because I knew how to keep a blog, and wrote on it. Sometimes it is enough to tell students that they can do something and then they go on do it.

I also inviterd them to join buzz.com; that didn't work so well. I guess I am not a good social network user, maybe because I am not very sociable.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews