Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Obama's 9/11?

Today Tom Friedman writes an interesting note in the NYT. He advises President Obama to show courage and fix the sick relationship Americans have with oil.

I have no idea what Obama will do. I see that the Tea Party already has one candidate, Rand Paul, running for his Republican Party seat to the Senate for Kentucky.

Then there is this new book by Matt Ridley, "Rational Optimist." He tells us not to worry, humanity has always found a way. I hope he is right, but I do not know.

I guess some readers already stopped reading this, this guy does not know anything, why should I keep reading him?

Actually I do know a lot of things. The only thing I do not know is the future. Furthermore, whenever I hear false prophets like Ron Paul, and his son Rand, I get worried, very worried. I've seen this movie before, very sure rightists: Want some names. Benito Mussolini, Francisco Franco, and yes, Adolf Hitler.

There is more to the future than certainty. I am glad our Universe is like that.

2 comments:

Frank S. Robinson said...

Those interested in the Ridley book might wish to know that my own prior 2009 book, THE CASE FOR RATIONAL OPTIMISM (Transaction Books, Rutgers University) thoroughly addresses very similar points and arguments. There is a very strong case to be made for rational optimism across a broad front of issues. More information at http://www.fsrcoin.com/k.htm

Eduardo Cantoral said...

Mr. Robinson,

I feel honored that you wrote this comment.

Thanks,
Eduardo

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews