Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I am Torn

I am torn between the love of my students in Mexico and my children living in the US. Today there is  a march here in Chicago. The children of undocumented workers are going to come out of the closet. They didn't do anything wrong, their parents took them here.

I taught in East Aurora High School; many of my students didn't have a right to be there, because their parents didn't enter the country legally. Do you know how I felt? Those children deserved all my attention. My father himself entered Mexico illegally from Guatemala in his early twenties. Fortunately Mexicans never took me as an alien, I was a good student and the Mexican government paid for me to get a PhD in Theoretical Physics from the University of California at Santa Barbara.  What is wrong with that?

A student wrote today telling me I should go back to Chilpancingo, she says I am better than my friend who is helping me there with my classes.

Now I am reading how my ideas do work. A professor from the University of Buffalo has been successful at using technology and relevant life material to help his students learn better.

After two years in Mexico I do not see how I could accomplish that there.

I am torn.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews